Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Cranberry Chutney

Every Autumn I look forward to finding fresh cranberries in the store. I grew up eating slices of that tubular, canned concoction known as cranberry sauce, and I always liked it, until I made my own. Once I made chutney, I haven't looked back, and I recently found a can in the dim recesses of my pantry. I read the ingredients and was surprised to find high fructose corn syrup AND regular corn syrup (along with an expiration date of Mar 07,  if that tells you anything besides the fact that I didn't look very closely when I packed to move into our house in 2008, LOL). I remember that it was a holiday staple, but I don't remember ever reading what was actually in it before. Oh, how times have changed! I don't buy anything without reading the label anymore.


Is there anything prettier than a pot of cranberry chutney?




I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. When you have it on the stove boiling, don't be surprised to hear popping. The cranberries usually pop while they are cooking.


3 cups fresh, organic cranberries
1+ cups chopped apples (I usually like at least 2 apples)
1 orange peel chopped
2 cups of raw sugar
1 cup of orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed, with pulp)


In a large saucepan, mix the fruit, sugar and juice.
Bring to a boil, and boil for 5 min, or until berries are tender.
Remove from heat, transfer to sterile jars.

Allow to cool.
Since I still don't have all the equipment, I didn't try to can this.  I did vacuum-seal the jars and put the jars in the fridge, but it doesn't last long enough in our house to worry about.



1 comment:

Kim said...

How did I miss this when I was stalking your blog? Awesome! This stuff wouldn't last in my house at all. Thanks so much :)