Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Maple & Butter Cashews

I bought a little over two pounds of raw cashew pieces (less expensive than whole nuts) from the bulk section the other day. I decided to roast some to bring out their flavor, and I wanted to make them into a real treat. I love cashews anyway, but I planned a couple different flavors. For my first experiment I chose a maple syrup and butter topping, and these are that blend of salty and sweet that I really love. Watch for a different version coming soon.


app. 1 lb raw cashew pieces
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp raw sugar
½ tsp salt


Preheat the oven to 350°F (app. 175°C*)
Melt the butter and mix it with the maple syrup, sugar and salt.
Stir the raw cashew pieces into the butter mixture and make sure they are well coated.
Spread the sugared cashews onto a parchment-lined baking sheet or baking dish and put them into the preheated oven for 5-6 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and give a stir, being careful to include any sugar that has dripped off onto the parchment.
Return to the oven for an addition 5-10 minutes, until golden brown.
Remove the pan from the oven and stir the cashews while they cool to keep the sugar on the nuts and evenly distributed.
Once cool, store on a glass jar.
These are great as a snack on their own, in trail mix, on ice cream, etc.


*I use an online conversion chart and round up or down, as seems appropriate. Please adjust according to your judgement, and send me a message if you find an error. Thank you.

No comments: