Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Banana Mango Whoopie with Coconut Cream Cheese Filling

I recently received a mango from our co-op. Not having much experience with mangos, I had to look up how to tell if it was ripe. It wasn't, so a staring contest ensued. I stared, and I plotted what to do when it finally blinked (went ripe). I finally settled on making Banana Mango Whoopie Cookies, with a coconut cream cheese filling. I figured out the recipe and headed to the kitchen, and I was not disappointed with the results. These are super moist (sort of like the top of a muffin), the mango is subtle, and the filling tastes like a cross between a coconut cream pie and a cheesecake.






Banana Mango Whoopie Cookies
1 cup raw sugar
½ cup butter
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp milk
1 ripe mango (puréed)
2 bananas (crushed)


Coconut Cream Cheese Filling
3 cups confectioners sugar
½ cup butter
8 oz cream cheese (room temp.)
½ cup shredded coconut (I use dried coconut that I soaked in sweetened water or milk)


Preheat oven to 350°F (app. 175°C*) & line baking sheets with parchment.
Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time.
Mix dry ingredients, including flour, salt, baking powder & baking soda and alternate adding dry ingredients and fruit to butter mixture.
Stir only as much as needed to fully incorporate the ingredients.
Place batter on the parchment- I used app 2 tsp. of batter per cookie
Bake for 10-13 minutes, until tester comes out clean and bottoms are lightly browned.
Remove from oven, let cool completely.
Frost the bottom of one cookie and press to the bottom of another, making a yummy sandwich cookie.


Cream butter and cream cheese until well-combined, add sugar and coconut & mix until well-combined. Icing flavor will develop over time, so it is a good idea to make this a day in advance and refrigerate (allow to warm up for a few moments if it is too hard to spread just out of the fridge)






*I use an online conversion chart and round up or down, as seems appropriate. Please adjust according to your judgement, and send me a message if you find an error. Thank you.

No comments: