Friday, March 25, 2011

Briar Patch Breakfast Sausage

When I started cooking everything from scratch, I began to realize that I need more spices, many more than I had ever needed before. Granted, most things kitchen-related are sort of a Briar Patch* for me, but my herb and spice collection is rapidly over-taking my tea selection, and that is no small feat. I have two drawers filled, and lists of spices that I still have to purchase for future recipes. In my humble opinion, a wide variety of  spices and herbs are an essential arsenal for individuals trying to eat natural, and still have flavorful options on the menu. In my case I am often trying to duplicate products that I have had to give up because of additive sensitivities, but I have also noticed that my palette is becoming more developed, and I simply want to taste what the (natural and organic) world has to offer.


As I mentioned when I posted my Italian Sausage recipe, I have been working on some  experiments. Today I have another sausage recipe to share with you; this time a Breakfast Sausage. I have tried many different approaches, and this was definitely a keeper, but I doubt this will be the last sausage recipe that I post. After all, if you are like me, you can't go to the store to pick up a new flavor, so I want to have (and offer) a broad range of choices.


1½ lbs ground pork
1½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp rubbed sage
½ tsp rubbed savory
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
¾ tsp marjoram


Mix the spices well, sprinkle over the ground pork, and combine thoroughly.
Allow to rest in the refrigerator for a few hours to overnight.
Shape into patties and fry thoroughly; you can also shape into patties and freeze for future use (thaw well before frying).
This would go nicely with Baked French Toast, could be fried and crumbled into macaroni and cheese, or be served up as sausage and biscuits, etc.


*Reference to Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br'er_Rabbit

No comments: